Gluten Free S’Mores Cookies were originally posted in May 2022 and have been updated with new pictures, helpful tips, and a video.
Want all the tastes of s’mores without the fuss? Make these Gluten Free S’Mores Cookies and you may never go back to the campfire ones again!
Some of the items linked in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, if you click through and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission.
I’m a HUGE fan of s’mores, the original or anything that has the components of s’mores. I mean, what is there not to love? Toasted marshmallows? Count me in. Milk chocolate? Yep, I’m always on board for milk chocolate, too. Graham crackers? Nothing can compare to the crunch and taste of a graham cracker.
So when I wanted to create a cookie that represented all the aspects of the beloved summertime treat, I knew I had to include all three of them. You’ll find toasty marshmallow, creamy milk chocolate, and crunchy graham cracker all rolled up in one giant cookie!
what you’ll need to make s’mores cookies
- Hershey’s milk chocolate bars — this is the classic chocolate used to make s’mores, so naturally I wanted to include it in my cookies. You can use any chocolate you’d like, but these really make it taste like the real thing.
- Gluten free graham cracker crumbs — I make my own gluten-free graham crackers in less than an hour, but if you want to use store bought, they would work as well. Whirl them up in a food processor to make fine crumbs.
- Marshmallows — just one large marshmallow for each cookie is all you need. It melts in the middle and gets nice and toasty on top.
- Brown sugar — using only brown sugar helps with that caramelized, toasty flavor we’re after. That combined with the graham cracker crumbs make the perfectly textured s’mores cookies.
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
let’s make these gooey cookies
- Dough — Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, then dry ingredients and crumbs. Add 3/4 of the chocolate bars.
- Chill — Let the dough chill out in the fridge for half an hour.
- Shape — Scoop dough (using a large cookie scoop) and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Flatten each slightly in the palm of one hand. Place a marshmallow in the center and wrap the dough around it, but leave the top half of the marshmallow exposed.
- Freeze — Place dough balls in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake — Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until marshmallows are gooey and golden brown and cookies are set.
s’mores cookies frequently asked questions
A true s’mores is always made with milk chocolate, but if you’re not a fan, chop up equal amounts of dark chocolate bars to use in the cookies.
After they’ve been sitting for a few hours to a few days, the marshmallows will lose their toasty crunch and go soft. To get that crunch back, place them in a 350-degree oven for 5 minutes. OR, use a kitchen torch to carefully toast the marshmallows.
You can certainly make these cookies without the graham cracker crumbs, but they won’t have that backdrop of crunchiness inside the cookies. To remove them from the recipe, up the gluten free all purpose flour to 4 cups (560 g).
Dairy — use a dairy-free vegan butter in place of the butter in the dough and dairy-free chocolate, such as Enjoy Life brand.
Vegan — I haven’t tried it, but you could try making chia eggs (you’ll need the equivalent of two eggs). Of course you’ll also need to switch to dairy-free (vegan) butter and chocolate. As for vegan graham crackers, I would suggest Enjoy Life Vanilla Honey Graham Cookies.
more gluten free cookie recipes
- Perfect Snickerdoodles
- Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Caramelized White Chocolate Ginger Cookies
- Flourless Fluffernutter Cookies
- Toffee Cookies
- Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Thick and Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
If you want all the tastes and textures of a s’mores without the campfire, you’ll need to make these Gluten Free S’Mores Cookies.
Gluten Free S’Mores Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226g) butter, softened
- 2 cups (454g) tightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups (420g) Kim's all purpose gluten free flour blend a store bought blend may be used, but hasn't been tested
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (140g) gluten free graham cracker crumbs homemade or store bought
- 5 bars (43g each) Hershey's milk chocolate bars, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 16 large marshmallows
- Cream butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Scrape down bowl and continue to beat for another 1-2 minutes. Add vanilla and beat well.
- Combine flour with baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. On low speed, add flour mixture and graham cracker crumbs to butter/egg mixture until fully incorporated. Stir in chopped chocolate bars.
- Refrigerate dough for at least ½ an hour, but up to 3 days.
- Weigh out 85-90 gram portions of dough (for smaller cookies) and 135-140 gram portions (for larger cookies) and flatten each in the palm of one hand. Add a large marshmallow to middle of flattened dough and pinch dough up around marshmallow, but not covering completely (you want the top of the marshmallow exposed).
- Place shaped cookies on parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Bake cookies from frozen until marshmallows and cookies are golden brown, 15-20 for smaller cookies and 20-25 minutes for larger cookies. Upon removal from oven, push a few chocolate pieces into the cookies, if desired, for that melty chocolate effect on top.
7 thoughts on “Gluten Free S’Mores Cookies”
How many cookies does this make? Do you know if anyone has had success with store bought GF flour?
Is the flour quantity correct? Isn’t 3 cups more than 280g?
Thank you so much for catching that! You are correct. It should be 420g. Idk where I got 280g. I will correct it, and I apologize for the mistake 😍
Oh, and how much vanilla?
OMG, I’m so sorry! It’s 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp vanilla. I’m fixing it now.
Again, sorry about that!
Thanks so much! I went ahead and guessed yesterday, and that is about what I used. These are delicious and were the hit of our party last night! You have the BEST recipes. I have a Pinterest board devoted just to yours 😁
Hi! I started making these and realized I don’t know how much baking soda or salt to use! It’s not in the recipe, but you mention it. Help, please, ASAP? Thanks!