These homemade gluten free graham crackers are easy to make and even easier to eat! And the crumb crust is as easy as, well…pie!!
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.
These gluten free graham crackers are so easy to make that it’d almost be silly to run to the store just to buy gf graham crackers. YOU know, as well as I do, how expensive all things gluten free are, and graham crackers are no exception to that rule, are they?
I don’t know about you, but most of the time when I need graham crackers they’re simply for crushing to make other things (think gluten free s’mores brownies, gluten free lemon cream pie, or the best gluten free key lime pie). So why bother making perfectly straight and cutesy graham crackers when all we’re going to do is obliterate them. Am I right?
Of course the option IS always there to make the actual crackers. Especially if we want s’mores. So I’ll show you how if that’s your desire😊.
How to Make Gluten Free Graham Crackers
What you’ll love right off the bat with this recipe is that it’s all made in one bowl! No stand mixer or even handheld mixer required. Just a bowl and a spoon.
Begin with my gluten free all-purpose flour blend and add baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and granulated sugar. Whisk all the dry ingredients until they’re well combined.
The reason I use only granulated sugar and not brown sugar is because I want crispier, crunchier crackers. When graham crackers are crispy, they’ll turn into crumbs and not mush.
Add melted butter, molasses, an egg, and a few tablespoons of milk and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until a soft dough forms.
Rolling out the Dough
No refrigeration is necessary before rolling out this gluten free graham cracker dough. On a piece of parchment cut to fit a half sheet pan (13 by 18 inch), roll out the dough until it’s of uniform thickness.
If you’re planning on making graham crackers for the purpose of using them whole, use a ruler (affiliate link) and score them with a pastry wheel (affiliate link) into rectangles as long and wide as desired.
Otherwise, you can leave the dough whole if you’re going to be using it for crumbs. Slide the parchment and the dough onto the baking sheet and use a fork to poke holes throughout.
Baking the Crackers
Bake the graham crackers at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. The crackers will become more firm as they cool.
Making a Gluten Free Crumb Crust
If you haven’t already noticed how easy it is to make these gf graham crackers, you could always go the store bought route to make a crumb crust. Schar makes a pretty decent graham cracker here (affiliate link). But I urge you to just try these gf graham crackers before hopping in the car.
To make a gf crumb crust, break apart the large sheet of graham crackers into smaller pieces and place them in a food processor (or a large ziptop baggie). Process into fine crumbs (or use a rolling pin to crush them in the baggie).
In a small bowl, toss together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Press the crumbs along the bottom and up the sides of a pie plate or springform pan. Bake the pie crust for 10 minutes and allow to cool before filling.
When gluten free graham crackers are as easy to make as this, why would you even THINK about going to the store to buy them? These are perfectly crunchy with that familiar cinnamon molasses taste!
Homemade Gluten Free Graham Crackers (& How to Make a GF Graham Cracker Crust)
- 2 cups (280 g) Kim's gluten free flour blend (or your favorite blend containing xanthan gum)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp milk
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- 2 cups (170 g) gluten free graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
Making the Graham Crackers
- Preheat the oven to 300° F.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk well. Add melted butter, molasses, vanilla extract, egg, and milk and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Dump dough out onto a piece of parchment that's been cut to fit your baking sheet (mine is 12 by 18 inches). Roll out to about ⅛ to ¼-inch thick, covering the entire surface of the parchment. It doesn't have to be exact if you're using it to make graham cracker crumbs.
- If desired, score the sheet of dough into rectangles using a pizza or pastry wheel (or a knife). Use the non pointy end of a wooden skewer (or a fork) to poke holes throughout the dough.
- Bake the graham crackers for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch. They will crisp up more upon cooling.
Making the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a small bowl, combine all crust ingredients and stir. Press mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a pie plate. Use something with a flat bottom, such as a measuring cup or a glass, to press the crumbs together.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool before filling as per your recipe instructions.