Put these gluten free sausage balls on your party food table and watch them disappear. Cheese and sausage combine to make the perfect savory bite!
I used to love sausage balls back in my BC days (before Celiac) and though there are several recipes out there using gluten free Bisquick, I never buy the stuff. I have enough flours at home that I don’t need to add another one to the mix, so I decided I’d make these completely from scratch with my own flour blend.
How to Make Gluten Free Sausage Balls
It’s really easy to make sausage balls. Just a few ingredients stand between you and the best little party food:
- Make a simple homemade version of gluten free Bisquick, or substitute store bought Bisquick (affiliate link). My homemade version consists of my gluten free all purpose flour blend, baking powder, salt, and butter.
- Add sausage. I use Jimmy Dean regular breakfast sausage. It’s labeled gluten free.
- Add cheddar cheese. You can use pre-shredded or shred your own.
Can Sausage Balls be Made in Advance?
Yes! They can be made about 3 days in advance if you’re storing them in the refrigerator. If you want to make them way ahead, store them in a ziptop bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, allow them to thaw on the counter (it shouldn’t take more than an hour) and pop them in a 350-degree F oven for 5-7 minutes.
I love the original sausage balls, but if you’re looking to change things up a bit, here are some ideas:
- Sausage: Want to change up the sausage? Use Italian sausage. Or Mexican chorizo! Just make sure your brand is gluten free.
- Cheese: Don’t care for cheddar? Use monterey jack. Or mozzarella. Colby or colby jack. Pepper jack would be great, too!
- Add ins: Chives, parsley, cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika–you name it! Be your own chef!!
More Game Day Food
- Gluten Free Veggie Pizza
- Gluten Free Ritz Style Crackers
- Easy Cheesy Pizza Dip
- Gluten Free Baked Brie
- Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
- Gluten Free Crostini Two Ways
- Gluten Free Hawaiian Round Bread with Ham Dip
There’s not much more to say because gluten free sausage balls are just so easy and so yummy. Crunchy and cheesy on the outside, soft and savory on the inside. I bet you can’t eat just one!
Gluten Free Sausage Balls
- 3 cups (420 g) Kim's gluten free flour blend
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ sticks (¾ cup or 169 g) butter, softened
- 1 pound (453 g) pork sausage, raw
- 10 ounces (approx 2½ cups or 282 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until completely combined.
- Roll into balls about the size of a large walnut (1½ inches) and place on baking sheets. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until very lightly golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, thaw at room temperature and place in a 350° oven for 5-7 minutes.