This amazing grilled lemon butter shrimp is doused in a lemon butter sauce and is perfect for a family gathering. Roll up your sleeves and make sure you have lots of gf bread for mopping up the wonderful sauce!
You and your family are gonna LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this shrimp! This is now THE go-to shrimp dish we make when we have a large family gathering (or even when it’s just a few of us). Every time we serve it to someone new, they immediately want the recipe!
What You’ll Need to Make Amazing Grilled Lemon Butter Shrimp
This shrimp is the most amazing shrimp, plus it’s SO easy to make and incredibly impressive, too:
- Shrimp–the bigger, the better. I like a 16-20 count shrimp, which is just the amount of shrimp you get per pound. The lower the number, the bigger the shrimp. I find great shrimp at my local Lidl. They’re frozen and called “colossal” and they come already deveined, but with the peel still on.
- Butter–lots of it, folks. This isn’t called lemon butter shrimp for nothing!
- Lemon juice–fresh lemon juice goes so well with seafood.
- Worcestershire sauce–a little bit goes a long way in flavoring the wonderful sauce.
- Hot sauce–I like mine pretty spicy, so I tend to be heavy handed with the hot sauce (we always use Frank’s Red Hot in this house, but use whatever is your favorite). If you don’t like it so spicy, ease up a little on the hot sauce.
- Thyme–throw a few sprigs of fresh thyme into the butter sauce for a great herby flavor that goes well with lemon and shrimp.
- Olive oil–this is for tossing the shrimp prior to putting it on the grill.
- Salt and pepper–goes in the sauce.
- Gluten free bread–I have gotten so used to having this shrimp with bread for mopping up the sauce that I don’t think I could ever eat it without! My favorite to dunk into the sauce is my gluten free Italian bread, but also gf artisan bread and sourdough will work great as well. If you don’t need to eat gluten free and you happen to be following me, you of course can use a regular (wheat-based) bread of choice.
Make the Sauce
Combine the butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, sprigs of thyme, and hot sauce in a large saucepan. Allow the butter to melt and begin simmering. Turn the heat off and set it aside while you grill the shrimp.
Grill the Shrimp
Grill the shrimp over high heat until just cooked through, flipping after about one minute. There’s a little carry over cooking, especially when the sauce is added, so don’t overcook them.
Place your grilled shrimp in a large bowl and pour the butter sauce all over the shrimp. Tear big hunks of fresh gluten free bread alongside to dip in the sauce. SO GOOD!!!!!!!
Lemon Butter Shrimp FAQs
Yes, you can use peeled shrimp. We’ve done it many times. Make sure not to overcook the shrimp if there’s no peel on them. Grilling with the peel on tends to keep them from getting rubbery.
Absolutely! If your shrimp are large enough, like mine are, you don’t have to skewer them as they won’t fall through the grates of the grill. However, if they’re smaller shrimp, putting them on skewers would prevent that from happening. If you use wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes prior to threading the shrimp.
Make sure your fire is hot enough because shrimp cook very fast. If your fire isn’t hot enough, there won’t be time to get grill marks before you have to remove them from the grill.
There’s really nothing more to say other than to make this Amazing Lemon Butter Grilled Shrimp because once you do, you’ll be a fan forever! This is the PERFECT dish to serve a crowd. It’s easy and quick to make, but it’s so, so good and everyone will ask for the recipe.
Mr. Story’s Shrimp (The BEST Grilled Shrimp!)
- 1 cup (226 g or 2 sticks) butter
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-4 tbsp hot sauce (or more or less to taste)
- 1 lb colossal or jumbo shrimp (16-20 count), deveined (peels may be removed as well, but I leave mine on)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 loaves gluten free Italian bread
- gluten free sourdough bread OR
- gluten free artisan bread
- Heat the grill to high. Wrap bread in foil and place on top grate of grill. Alternatively, place bread in the oven at 350° F while grilling the shrimp. Allow the bread to heat up for 10 minutes before grilling the shrimp.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter with salt and pepper, lemon juice, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and heat through until the butter has melted and begins to simmer. Reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, toss the shrimp with the olive oil and grill in a single layer for about 1-2 minutes per side, or until slightly charred. Don't overcook as the shrimp will continue to cook in the butter sauce. Remove the bread from the grill or oven at this time as well.
- Transfer the shrimp to a large serving bowl. Pour the lemon butter sauce over the shrimp and tear off hunks of bread to serve alongside the shrimp, for dipping in the sauce.
Did you make this recipe? I’d LOVE to see it!!! Post a picture and tag @letthemeatglutenfreecake on Instagram.
Recipe adapted from foodnetwork.com