Have you ever had a chocolate chip pie? This gluten free chocolate chip pie is like a cookie in pie form. It’s the best of both worlds!
For years, if we went to a chain restaurant (back before Celiac) and I’d see a chocolate chip pie on the dessert menu, it always looked so good. But for whatever reason I never ordered it. Maybe I was too full. Or maybe I found something I liked better, or thought I liked better.
And of course, in true ME fashion, now that I can’t order a piece of this delicious pie, I really want it!! Haha! Ain’t that how it always goes, though? It’s like when you have lots of money, you don’t want anything. But when you have NO money, you see all kinds of things you want. Right?!?!
Well, if you’re at all like me and you never had a chance to order a slice of chocolate chip pie in a restaurant, no worries. You can now make it at home and I bet it’s way better than anything you’d ever dream of ordering! It’s ooey and gooey, just like a chocolate chip cookie should be, but in pie form!
Making Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pie
This pie is so easy to make and even easier to eat! It begins with the usual cast of characters for chocolate chip cookies, plus a gluten free pie crust:
- Gluten free pie crust–you can use any gluten free pie crust, but if you want something easy AND flaky and delicious, try my recipe here.
- Granulated sugar
- Kim’s gluten free all-purpose flour blend–or your favorite blend that contains xanthan gum
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped toasted walnuts–you can leave them out if you’re not fond of them, but I like the crunch.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
The process for making this pie only requires one bowl (other than the pie crust of course). Mix all the ingredients and pour them into a blind-baked pie shell. That’s all!
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped toasted walnuts, but there are so many other combinations you can use. How about butterscotch chips and pecans? Or white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts? Dark chocolate chips and almonds? Milk chocolate chips and hazelnuts?? As I always say, BYOC–be your own chef!!
What’s better than a gluten free chocolate chip cookie pie? I can’t think of much, other than to top it with a big ‘ole scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- 1 blind-baked gluten free pie crust
- ½ cup (113 g) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (70 g) Kim's gluten free flour blend (or your favorite gf flour blend containing xanthan gum)
- 2 large eggs, beaten and at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (175 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips (see substitutions above)
- 1 cup (125 g) chopped toasted walnuts (see substitutions above)
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Prepare pie crust according to recipe instructions for blind baking.
- Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and crackled (check crust halfway through baking and if it's getting too dark, cover the pie with foil).
- Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack. Serve slightly warm with vanilla ice cream.