I dare you to eat just one of these gluten free blue cheese bites. They're highly addictive and are so easy and quick to make!
I remember my mom making these probably back in the 70's or 80's for some kind of dinner party they were having. The next day there were leftovers and she broke them out for us to munch on. I couldn't stop going back for more.
Then I saw the Pioneer Woman make Mystery Rolls and I realized they were the exact same thing my mom made all those years ago! And I recall her also saying it's something her mom used to make as well. She and I are around the same age so the recipe was probably circulating around at that time (although under different names).
What are Gluten Free Blue Cheese Bites?
The original blue cheese bites were made with three ingredients: canned biscuits, blue cheese, and butter. Have you ever seen gluten free canned biscuits? Me, neither. But I have made gluten free biscuits and they are glorious! And easy to make, too.
So when I made my own gf biscuits and had some dough leftover, I decided to give it a shot in this recipe and I'm so glad I did. These little bites of heaven are better than what I remember them being, probably because they're made with real butter and real ingredients.
How to Make Blue Cheese Bites
Once you have a batch of gluten free biscuit dough in the fridge (or freezer), making these bites is so easy. So click on over to that recipe and make up a batch of dough. For this recipe you'll only need half a batch of dough so make biscuits with the other half!
Cut the dough into small pieces about one inch in size. I like to cut them into triangular, odd shapes and not just squares or rectangles.
Place the biscuit pieces on a baking sheet and pour the melted butter all over. Sprinkle with the blue cheese and toss everything to coat the biscuits.
If desired, add fresh thyme and bake the biscuits at 400 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and baked through.
These can be served with a meal as a side, or as an appetizer at a party. They can be served warm or at room temperature. And everyone will go crazy for them!
Gluten Free Blue Cheese Bites
- ½ recipe Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 stick (½ cup or 113 g) melted salted butter
- 1 4-6 ounce container blue cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cut biscuit dough into small one-inch sized abnormal pieces and place on baking sheet. Pour melted butter over biscuit pieces. Sprinkle blue cheese all over biscuits and use a spatula to toss biscuit pieces with melted butter and blue cheese. Sprinkle fresh thyme (optional) over biscuits.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.