Simple broccoli pasta is a quick, easy meatless meal made in minutes that’s delicious and healthy and packed with flavor.
Every time I make this pasta, I declare it the best pasta I’ve ever had! I am a HUGE broccoli fan and love it in so many ways (steamed, roasted, even on pizza), but my absolute favorite way to eat broccoli is in this pasta. It’s loaded with flavor!!
My family has been making this pasta for years. My mom started making it when I was a teenager, I think. But I have to be honest. We always called it ziti and broccoli. However, being gluten free I can’t always find ziti, so I decided to rename it Simple Broccoli Pasta because it’s so simple to make and you can use any short pasta. No matter what you call it, it’s delicious!!
The List of Ingredients in Simple Broccoli Pasta
It isn’t called “simple” for no reason. You don’t need much to make this delicious pasta:
- Broccoli–fresh broccoli only for this recipe. Frozen just won’t cut it. Too watery.
- Gluten free pasta–I’m currently loving Banza chickpea pasta, but use whatever is your favorite short pasta. Rotini also works great.
- Olive oil–my favorite olive oil is California Olive Ranch
- Garlic–one of the most essential ingredients in this pasta dish
- White wine–any good chardonnay will do
- Crushed red pepper flakes–for a little bit of heat
- Parmesan cheese–freshly grated is my preference
Sometimes the simplest of ingredients (that you probably already have on hand) come together to create such a flavorful and healthy dish.
How to Make This Pasta Your Own
This pasta dish is so versatile. Gluten free? Of course! This IS a gluten free blog after all. But even those who don’t need to be gluten free can use regular pasta and enjoy it. Vegetarian? It’s already so. Vegan? Sure, as long as the pasta is vegan, and you can sub nutritional yeast for the cheese.
In another direction, what about adding sliced grilled chicken breasts? Absolutely! Or sausage? Italian would be great! Grilled shrimp? That would be outstanding! In fact, I’ll have to try that next time I make it.
This meal can definitely be done in 30 minutes or less. It’s simply a matter of chopping the broccoli, sauteing it with olive oil, white wine, garlic, and crushed red pepper while the pasta is boiling. Drain the pasta and add it to the broccoli, sprinkle grated parmigiano reggiano, toss it all together and serve! So easy, but oh so good 🙂
Simple Broccoli Pasta
- 3-4 large heads broccoli, stems removed and cut into small florets
- 16 oz pasta of choice
- ½ cup (120ml) olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, smashed slightly and skins removed
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- ¼ cup (60ml) white wine
- ½ cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- Chop the broccoli into small florets. Bring water to a boil for pasta. Add pasta and boil as per instructions on box.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium low to medium heat. Add garlic cloves and broccoli and stir.
- Saute for 5-6 minutes, stirring often. Add white wine, crushed red pepper and salt. Cover and saute for another 10 minutes or so, until fork tender, stirring often. Smash garlic into broccoli with fork if desired.
- When pasta is done, remove about 1/2 cup of pasta water to create a sauce if needed. Drain pasta and add to broccoli. Add parmigiano reggiano and toss to coat. If needed, add remaining pasta water. Toss and serve.