These gluten free puff pastry cheese straws take us back to a time when we could eat whatever we want. They’re crunchy, flaky, cheesy, and spicy and they are so addictive!!
If you haven’t yet, go to my glorious gluten free puff pastry recipe and make some because with this in your back pocket, you can make so many things you’ve missed for so long! I think about all those things I used to love from my BC (before Celiac) days–palmiers, apple turnovers, napoleons, brie en croute, and these babies right here! When cheese and pastry come together, it’s magical and when a little bit of spice is added, it’s spectacular! Am I right?
Back in our BC days, we were used to going to the grocery store and picking up a box of Pepperidge Farms’ Puff Pastry and making all those things I mentioned above. But nowadays, it’s harder and harder for our gluten free community to find those substitutes for the real deal. Sure, you can buy a package of Gee Free Gluten Free Puff Pastry or Schar Gluten Free Puff Pastry, but they are SO expensive ($9 at my local Wegman’s)! Yikes!! Not to mention, I think they’re an inferior product to the Pepperidge Farms’ Puff Pastry I remember. So why not make your own gluten free puff pastry? It’s so much easier than you might imagine. Give it a try and you’ll see for yourself!!
How To Make Gluten Free Puff Pastry Cheese Straws?
One word–easy!! Once you have the puff pastry, whether you use my recipe or a store bought version, these cheese straws are easy peasy lemon squeezy. Haha!! Seriously, though, they truly can be put together in minutes.
- Mix together shredded cheese (I like cheddar, but use whatever hard to semi-hard cheese you’d like–parmesan, gruyere, etc) with cayenne pepper. Sprinkle half this cheese mixture onto work surface.
- Roll puff pastry out onto cheese until about 1/8-inch thick.
- Sprinkle rest of cheese mixture on top half of dough and press lightly to adhere. Fold dough up onto cheese and, using rolling pin, roll out again to about 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut with pizza roller or very sharp knife. Twist strips on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Place baking sheet in refrigerator for at least 10 minutes to chill, or up to about an hour until party time!
- Preheat oven and bake cheese straws until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
These gluten free puff pastry cheese straws will be devoured as soon as you serve them. Just be sure to keep a few extra aside for the chef 😋
Gluten Free Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
- ½ recipe (about 18 ounces) glorious gluten free puff pastry
- 1 cup (8 ounces) shredded cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar, but use whatever hard to semi-hard cheese you'd like)
- ¼-½ tsp cayenne pepper (use higher amount for more spicy)
- Using sharp knife, cut gluten free puff pastry in half. Re-wrap other half and store in fridge or freezer. Allow to come to cool room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap.
- In small bowl, mix cheese and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle ½ of cheese mixture onto work surface. Roll puff pastry over cheese mixture into a rectangle about 1/8-inch thick. Sprinkle other half of cheese mixture over top half of rectangle and fold bottom half over cheese. Using rolling pin, press and roll pastry out again to 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut pastry into 1-inch thick strips using a pizza cutter or very sharp knife.
- Twist pastry strips onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Place baking sheet in refrigerator to chill for at least 10 minutes, or up to about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake cheese straws for about 17-25 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.