The classic peanut butter blossom cookie just got an update to gluten free, so now we can enjoy an old favorite along with the rest of the world!!
What’s that one cookie that seems to disappear from the cookie tray the fastest? I don’t know what it is about these peanut butter blossom cookies, but people go nuts for these cookies! What’s not to love, really? Peanut butter and chocolate–one of the most loved of all pairings in our lifetime. Being a peanut butter LOVER myself, I have fallen prey to the seductive way these cookies call out my name. I just can’t seem to resist them, and now I don’t have to because they are gluten free 🙂
How to Make Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blossoms
These cookies couldn’t be simpler to make, but they are oh so good to eat!
First step, cream the butter and peanut butter together and then slowly add the sugars. Cream on medium high for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
Next, add the egg and milk along with the vanilla and beat until fully incorporated.
Finally, whisk together the flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. The original Hershey’s recipe calls for shortening instead of butter, which results in softer cookies. I added a little baking powder to the mix to give the cookies all the help possible in rising up instead of spreading out. Slowly add the flour mixture to the bowl, with the mixer on low, just until incorporated.
Let the dough sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, just to firm up slightly. While that’s happening, go ahead and unwrap the Hershey’s kisses (trying not to eat them all)!
Once the dough is cold enough, with a small cookie scoop (about a tablespoon), scoop dough into mounds. Roll each into a ball and then dredge in granulated sugar. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 8 minutes.
Immediately upon removing the baking sheet from the oven, add the Hershey’s kiss to the center and press lightly. Cool on baking sheet for a few minutes and then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Add these classic peanut butter blossom cookies, made gluten free, to your Christmas cookie tray this year. Watch the magic as they disappear right before your eyes 😉
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 1/2 cup (113 g) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (190 g) smooth peanut butter
- 1/3 cup (67 g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (67 g) light brown sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (210 g) gluten free flour blend
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 48 Hershey’s kisses, unwrapped
- granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in small bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric mixer, beat butter and peanut butter until well mixed. Slowly add both sugar and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg, milk, and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture just until well incorporated.
- Put bowl in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Scoop dough with cookie scoop or small spoon and roll into balls. Dredge balls in bowl of granulated sugar and place about 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, or until puffed up. Don’t overbake as they won’t be as soft upon cooling.
- Remove baking sheets from oven and immediate place unwrapped kiss in center of each cookie, pressing lightly. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes and then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.