Celebrate the 4th of July with this gluten free patriotic trifle. It has layers of berries, gluten free angel food cake, and a light cheesecake filling!!
This is one of my favorite desserts ever, and it’s so easy to put together. It just requires a little pre-baking for us gluten free peeps. Unless, that is, you’ve found a bakery in your area that makes gluten free angel food cake. I’ve never seen it in my city, but then again we don’t have much in the way of gluten free anything.
If you happen to live near an Aldi, they will sometimes sell boxes of gluten free angel food cake mix. I’ve never used them myself, but it’s definitely an option for making this dessert.
Another option is to use pound cake, such as my gluten free cream cheese pound cake. The trifle won’t be quite as light, but it’ll still taste absolutely delicious!!
Otherwise, we can always make our own gluten free angel food cake. I already have a recipe on the blog for pumpkin spice angel food cake, so leave out the pumpkin spice and you’ll have what you need!
How to Make a Gluten Free Patriotic Trifle
There aren’t many ingredients required for this trifle, but sometimes simple is all you need to let the natural flavors shine through. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Gluten free angel food cake
- Cream cheese
- Heavy whipping cream
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh berries–I used blueberries and strawberries
After making the gluten free angel food cake, cut it into roughly one-inch cubes and set aside. Add the softened cream cheese to a large bowl. Mix with the whisk attachment, slowly adding the sugar. Add the heavy whipping cream and begin whipping on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract.
Begin layering cake, cream cheese mixture, and berries in a glass bowl or trifle bowl like this (affiliate link). When reaching the top, you can add the berries haphazardly or create a festive design like I did with the blueberries in the shape of a star.
How Long Does the Trifle Last?
After layering the trifle, place it in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving. Overnight is even better for all the flavors to meld and soften the cake even more, creating a “pudding-like” consistency to the dessert. It will last in the fridge for a few days.
Celebrate the birth of our nation with a gluten free patriotic trifle that’s as festive as it is delicious!
Gluten Free Patriotic Trifle
- 1 gluten free angel food cake
- 1 lb (452 g) cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup (135 g) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (480 ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 2 quarts strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 pints blueberries
- Make gluten free angel food cake according to recipe instructions. Allow to cool completely before cutting into one-inch cubes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, whip cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add sugar, whipping cream, and vanilla extract. Increase speed to medium high and continue to whip until the consistency of whipped cream.
- Layer cubes of angel food cake followed by cream cheese mixture and strawberries, then another layer of cake, cream cheese, and blueberries. Alternate layers and end with berries on top. Refrigerate for at least one hour and up to overnight.
- Serve cold. Trifle will keep in the refrigerator for up to a few days.
2 thoughts on “Gluten Free Patriotic Trifle”
This was pretty and delicious!!!! Everyone loved it!
Thanks so much, Nicci!!! I’m so glad you loved it 🙂