Pucker up for this gluten free lemon cream pie, which is basically a key lime pie made with lemon! This lemony pie has just the right amount of sweetened whipped cream to balance the tartness.
I am a sucker for pie, but citrus pies are really so refreshing in the summer! There’s something about that sweet/tart combo that just makes sense in the middle of all the crazy heat we’re having lately. Am I right?
WHAT’S IN GLUTEN FREE LEMON CREAM PIE?
Lemon cream pie is so very similar to key lime pie. It’s all the same ingredients, just in different amounts.
- Gluten free graham cracker crust — you can make your own like I do here, or there are decent ones on the market right now, such as this one here.
- Lemons — only fresh lemon juice will do for this pie, none of that bottled crap.
- Sweetened condensed milk — one of all time favorite ingredients! I could literally drink the stuff, haha!!
- Egg yolks — for that extra creamy and rich texture.
- Sweetened whipped cream — only the best (real whipped cream), not the container or can.
THE BEST JUICER FOR THE JOB!
I use lemon juice in more things than I can count. Not just desserts. In fact, I use lemon juice in more savory cooking than in baking. I make marinades that use lemon juice, or a vinaigrette that has lemon juice as the acid. I put lemon juice in my water and I use lemon juice in pan sauces for chicken and fish ALL THE TIME.
Over the years, I’ve had many different gadgets that make juicing a lemon so much easier. But none have come close to this one from Zulay Kitchen!! They sent me one to try and see if I liked it, and I have to say it’s the BEST gadget for juicing any citrus I’ve ever had. So if you juice a lot of lemons (or limes), you should get one, too!
SWEETENING THE WHIPPED CREAM
This recipe came from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe, which originally came from Cook’s Country magazine. I’d never heard of this method before, but it’s pretty brilliant.
Measure 3 tablespoons of the sweetened condensed milk used for the filling in the recipe and add it to the whipped cream to sweeten it, instead of using sugar or powdered sugar.
What’s your favorite summer pie? I hope you try this one because it is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!
Gluten Free Lemon Cream Pie
- 1 gluten free graham cracker pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 2 14-oz cans sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (from about 5-6 lemons)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Make gluten free graham cracker crust according to instructions from Gluten Free Key Lime Pie, or use a store bought gluten free graham cracker crust. If making from scratch, set on wire rack to cool while making filling.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Measure 3 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk from one can and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix the rest of the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and lemon juice with a wire whisk until well combined.
- Pour filling into crust and bake pie for about 15 minutes,, until filling is mostly set with just a little jiggling in the center.
- Remove pie from oven and place on wire rack to cool completely. Chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, add heavy whipping cream, reserved 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract and whip on medium high to stiff peaks. Spread on top of pie. Cut into slices and serve. Store in refrigerator for no more than 4-5 days.
Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe Luscious Lemon Cream Pie.