If you've never made a dump cake before, you're in for a real treat. This gluten free dump cake gets its name because you literally "dump" all the ingredients into the pan and bake! No mixing, no extra bowls, and so delicious!!
My parents used to own a bar/restaurant named Smokies. It got its name from their former partner's last name of Smith and my dad's Navy nickname of Okie. It was a part of my life for over 30 years and I'll never forget it. Smokies is where I met Scott, and my kids grew up around it. Now it's just a memory.
Anywho, several years ago I was making desserts for Smokies and this dump cake was part of my rotation. There was one guy in the kitchen who wanted the whole pan to himself. Jimmy LOVED the dump cake so much, he'd often beg me to make it for him to take home!!
THE SIMPLE INGREDIENTS
- Canned cherry pie filling
- Canned crushed pineapple with juice
- Packaged gluten free yellow cake mix (I used King Arthur Flour here)
- Chopped pecans
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE DUMP CAKE
- "Dump" pie filling into bottom of a 9 X 13-inch baking pan.
- "Dump" crushed pineapple with juice on top of pie filling. Spread.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix on top of pineapple evenly over the whole thing.
- Sprinkle pecans and then coconut over top of dry cake mix.
- Slowly drizzle melted butter over the entire cake.
- Bake at 250 degrees for one hour.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT PIE FILLING FLAVOR?
Absolutely! My original recipe (which I cut out of our newspaper when I was about 18) called for raspberry pie filling, but I changed it to cherry because I couldn't find raspberry. We all loved the cherry so much that I never made it with anything but.
If you don't like cherry and want to use something else, some suggestions might be raspberry of course, blueberry, peach, apple, even strawberry. You could also make your own filling if you're so inclined. I have great recipes for pies that include peach, blueberry, apple, and strawberry that would probably work very well in this (minus the pie crust). But opening a can and dumping it in is about the easiest route to go and who doesn't want easy sometimes? Especially when we have to make everything from scratch most days.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT FLAVOR CAKE MIX?
Sure! If you want to try chocolate, go for it!! We are a little limited in our cake mix flavors in the gluten free world, but whatever one you find and want to substitute, have at it 😋
I DON'T LIKE COCONUT. DO I HAVE TO USE THE COCONUT?
In a word, nope.
WHAT ABOUT PECANS? CAN I USE A DIFFERENT NUT?
Don't like pecans? Use almonds. Or walnuts. Or oooooh, macadamia nuts. Macadamia nuts would be GREAT in this cake, with all the tropical flavors. I might have to try that the next time!
This gluten free dump cake would be the perfect thing to bring to a potluck for your Labor Day weekend celebrations!
Gluten Free Dump Cake
- 2 20-ounce cans cherry pie filling
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 package gluten free yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup coconut
- 2 sticks (½ lb or 226 g) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- In a 9 X 13-inch baking pan, pour pie filling on the bottom of the pan and smooth out. Add the pineapple, undrained, and again smooth out. Next sprinkle the dry cake mix, followed by the pecans and coconut. Melt the butter and carefully pour over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour. If you want the coconut to be toasted on top, increase temperature to 350° and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until coconut is lightly toasted.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired.