Tomato Crostini is topped with fresh tomatoes and a cream cheese spread with bacon and chives. Serve as an appetizer or even as a meal.
Way back when my kids were little, we used to have parties at my mom and dad's house for their birthdays. Both birthdays were in the summer and my parents have a huge pool, so it was a no brainer. My mom and I would think about all the wonderful appetizers we could make, not even thinking that these were KIDS parties and they didn't give a crap about the food. All they cared about was swimming and cake! Seriously, trying to get a bunch of young kids out of a pool to go eat lunch is like pulling teeth!!
But the deal was this--WE wanted the food. We just used the kids as an excuse to make and eat all the good stuff! Not to say the kids didn't have a great time and of course we made great "kid friendly" foods, but our goal was to load up on all the appetizers we could think of for ourselves!!
My sister used to work for a catering company and these little beauties were one of the many things they would make. Once she shared the recipe with us, we were all hooked and began making them for every party occasion we could think of (including kids' birthday parties!). While the kids would rarely eat them, we'd scarf them down.
tomato crostini ingredients
- Bread for crostini base--of course this is a gluten free blog so I'll be using my Gluten Free Artisan Bread to make the base, but this recipe isn't only limited to gluten free. My mom buys a (gluten-filled) baguette to make these appetizers and has for years.
- Cream cheese--the base of the simple spread. For dairy free, use a vegan cream cheese (affiliate link).
- Bacon--you know that everything with bacon is better and this recipe is no exception to that rule. However, you can make it without bacon if you're vegan (or use a vegan bacon alternative) (affiliate link).
here's how easy it is to make these appetizers
- Toast the bread. Brush or drizzle both sides of each baguette slice with olive oil and place on a baking sheet (unlined for maximum crispness). Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, flipping over half way through baking.
- Make the spread. Whisk or stir together the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Add the bacon and chives and stir until well combined.
- Assemble the crostini. Spread cream cheese mixture onto each toasted bread slice and top with half of a tomato slice. Garnish with chive sprigs and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
common questions regarding crostini
Absolutely! Melted butter is a great alternative to olive oil.
Yes, I've done both and both work great. Grilled bread imparts a wonderful smoky flavor that compliments the crostini.
The crostini will keep for 3-4 days, covered in the refrigerator. The bread may start to soften a bit, but they'll still be delicious.
Chopped green scallions or even fresh basil would work perfectly!
more appetizers to try
- Gluten Free Veggie Pizza
- Pulled Pork Sliders on Hawaiian Rolls
- Gluten Free Cheddar Dill Tartlets
- Gluten Free Fresh Tomato Tart
- Fire Roasted Artichokes with Garlic Aioli
- Gluten Free Pineapple au Gratin
- Gluten Free Bruschetta
- Gluten Free Pizza Monkey Bread
- Gluten Free Sausage Balls
These Tomato Crostini can be whipped up in no time, so you can get ready for the party or big game and not spend hours in the kitchen.
- 2 small baguettes, sliced (for gluten free, use my gluten free artisan bread recipe)
- 1 8-oz pkgs (227g) cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup (80g) mayonnaise
- 2-3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (scallions or basil can be substituted)
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes, sliced (or other small tomatoes, even grape tomatoes sliced in half)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- extra chives for garnishing
- olive oil for baguette slices (or melted butter)
- Cut baguettes on the diagonal into ½-inch thick crostini. Put them on a baking sheet (unlined) and brush or drizzle each side with olive oil. Bake in a preheated 400° F oven for about 10-15 minutes, flipping over half way through.
- In a medium bowl, add softened cream cheese and mayonnaise. Whisk until smooth.
- Add chives and bacon and stir to combine. Spread onto baked crostini slices and top with tomato slices. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper, and garnish with fresh chive sprigs.