These gluten free breadcrumbs are the perfect way to use up stale gluten free bread. They’re crunchy, savory, and so easy to make!
I do a TON of gluten free bread baking with more failures than I care to admit. There are no starting points for gluten free bread recipes, so I have to start from scratch and tweak regular recipes using my gf bread flour blend. It doesn’t usually go well at first, so one after the other loaf of failed gf breads land in my trash can.
After a while, I really got sick of wasting so many loaves of bread, so I started making my own breadcrumbs. And they were so much better than any store bought breadcrumb I could find!
The Best Type of Bread for Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
Not every one of my gluten free breads (or even store bought breads) are the best ones to use for making breadcrumbs. Those made with sweet dough aren’t going to produce a good gf breadcrumb.
The best bread to use for breadcrumbs is a lean bread or a bread that’s only slightly enriched. Enrichments are just fats (butter or oil), milk, eggs, and/or sugar. They are in addition to what makes up a basic loaf of bread–flour, water, yeast, and salt.
In addition to store bought gluten free breads (such as this loaf), here are all my breads you can use to make these breadcrumbs:
- Best Ever Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread
- Gluten Free Artisan Sourdough Bread
- Gluten Free English Muffin Bread
- Fabulous Gluten Free Italian Bread
- Gluten Free English Muffins
- Gluten Free Artisan Bread
- Homemade Gluten Free Bagels
- Gluten Free Mall Style Pretzels
- Gluten Free Focaccia Bread
It couldn’t be any easier to make gluten free breadcrumbs! Cube up your stale bread and place the cubes into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the crumbs are fine with some irregular pieces throughout.
Dump the breadcrumbs onto a baking sheet and add the herbs and salt and pepper. Mix to combine (I like to use my hands).
Spread out into one even layer to the edges of the baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring a couple of times throughout baking to achieve even browning.
How To Store Homemade Breadcrumbs
These breadcrumbs will last a long time IF you treat them right. When cooled, store in an airtight glass container or jar until ready to use. They will last for a few weeks at room temperature, or can be frozen for several months. Just thaw before using.
What Can I Use Gluten Free Breadcrumbs For?
There are many uses for gluten free breadcrumbs! Here are a few ideas:
- As a coating for chicken cutlets–post coming soon (or use a favorite recipe).
- In meatballs–my meatballs are legendary and are the perfect use for breadcrumbs!
- In place of croutons in a Caesar salad–yep, it’s a thing now! Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add about a cup of breadcrumbs and stir constantly until crumbs are well browned and crispy. Allow to cool and sprinkle over Romaine lettuce instead of croutons. They add a nice bready crunch to the salad without having to unsuccessfully stab a crouton with your fork.
- As a coating for fried mozzarella–my gluten free mozzarella cheese sticks are the perfect melty cheesy appetizer!
- For making homemade fish sticks–set up a breading station with 3 bowls, one with gluten free AP flour, one with an egg wash (one egg mixed with a little milk, buttermilk, or water), and the third with breadcrumbs. Cut fish into sticks and dredge first in flour followed by egg wash and finally into breadcrumbs. Fry in canola oil in a skillet, or spray with nonstick spray and air fry until crispy and cooked through. Serve with tartar sauce or remoulade.
These are just a handful of ideas, but use your own creativity to come up with any favorite use for breadcrumbs in your own kitchen!
Do I Have to Flavor Them With Italian Seasoning?
Heck no!! Use whatever herbs or herb blends you’d like, or even none at all (I would still add the salt and pepper, though).
Don’t throw away that stale gluten free bread! Make these marvelous gluten free breadcrumbs and you’ll have a culinary creation just waiting in the wings for your next dinner 😊
Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
- 4-5 cups cubed stale gluten free bread
- 1-2 tbsp Italian seasoning herb blend (or to taste)*
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place bread cubes into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs with a few irregular larger pieces mixed in.
- Dumb crumbs onto baking sheet. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Mix to combine well and spread in a single layer.
- Bake breadcrumbs for about 20-25 minutes, stirring a few times throughout, until lightly toasted.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before storing in an airtight glass container or jar. Will keep at room temperature for a few weeks, or in the freezer for several months.