Add this recipe for Gluten Free Any Fruit Crumble to your baking arsenal to make for any season with any fruit you desire. The possibilities are endless!!
This recipe is the ultimate in gluten free baking! It can be thrown together in minutes. You can use any fruit you have in your kitchen. And you can customize the flavors for an endless amount of combinations that will wow everyone!
These are the basic ingredients you’ll need to make a gluten free fruit crumble:
the fruit filling
- 6 cups of your favorite fruit–this can be any combination of fruit or all one fruit. More examples below.
- Tapioca starch–just a little for thickening
- Sugar–not much, but it will depend on the sweetness of your fruit
- Fresh lemon juice
- Kim’s gluten free flour blend–a store bought blend may be substituted, but hasn’t been tested.
- Light brown sugar
- Baking powder
Putting it All Together
Depending on the fruit you choose, you can be enjoying this amazing fruit crumble with hardly any work at all! If you have to peel or chop your fruit, then obviously it will take you a little longer to make this. But it’s still a very easy dessert to make in a time crunch and at a whim!
Put all the fruit in a large bowl and add the tapioca starch, sugar, and lemon juice. Toss and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and, using your fingers, work it into the flour mixture until large clumps form.
Dump the fruit into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the crumble mixture all over the top in odd-shaped pieces and different sizes. Place the baking pan on top of a larger baking sheet (to catch any drips) and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crumble topping is golden brown and the fruit below is bubbling. The baking time will also depend on what fruit you use.
Ideas and Variations
- Ginger Peach–use peaches as the fruit, adding a tablespoon more tapioca starch to account for the juiciness of the peaches. Finely chop crystallized ginger (or use dried ginger) and add it to the crumble dough.
- Strawberry Basil–use strawberries as the fruit and add a tablespoon of minced fresh basil to the crumble dough.
- Melba–mix peaches with raspberries as the fruit.
- Pina Colada–use pineapple as the fruit and add unsweetened shredded coconut to both the fruit and the dough.
- Plum Cardamom–use plums for the fruit and add a teaspoon of cardamom to the dough.
- Cherry Almond–use cherries for the fruit, adding a tablespoon of amaretto or one teaspoon of almond extract to the fruit filling. Add finely chopped or slivered almonds to the dough.
- Blueberry Lavender–use blueberries for the fruit and add food grade lavender to the crumble dough.
- Pear Ginger–just as above, add ginger to the dough (in the form of chopped crystallized or dried), and use sliced pears as the fruit.
- Apple Cinnamon–add cinnamon to apples in filling as well as in the crumble. Serve with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Fruit Crumble Frequently Asked Questions
Both are fruit desserts that have a crunchy topping, but a crumble doesn’t contain oatmeal, whereas a crisp usually does.
Yes! Use ramekins and divide the fruit among them, followed by the crumble topping. Place on a baking sheet and bake for the same amount of time.
Yes, you can! My daughter is vegan and I made this using dairy-free butter (Earth Balance is what I used), making sure to use a dairy-free milk powder in the flour blend (such as this soy milk powder) (affiliate link). Everything else is naturally vegan (and you can serve it with vegan ice cream, too!).
Whatever fruit combination you choose, you’ll enjoy this Gluten Free Any Fruit Crumble. It’s beyond easy to make and delicious!
Gluten Free Any Fruit Crumble
- 6 cups fresh fruit of choice
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (140 g) Kim's gluten free flour blend a store bought blend may be substituted, but hasn't been tested
- ½ cup (100 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113 g) butter, cubed and at room temperature
MAKE THE FRUIT FILLING
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Spray a baking dish (9 by 13 or anything that's at least 2 inches deep) with baking spray and set aside.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and add the tapioca starch, sugar, and lemon juice. Mix to combine. Dump the fruit mixture into the prepared pan and set aside.
MAKE THE CRUMBLE
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the cubed butter and, using a pastry cutter, a fork, or your fingers, work it into the dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- Break up this dough into big and small pieces all over the top of the fruit. Place the pan on a larger baking sheet (to catch any drips) and bake the fruit crumble for 35-40 minutes, or until the crumble is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling (for the tapioca to properly thicken the fruit, it must be bubbling).
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Did you make this recipe? I’d LOVE to see it!!! Post a picture and tag @letthemeatglutenfreecake on Instagram.
Adapted from Just a Taste’s Easy Mix-and-Match Fruit Crumble